As I mentionned in the 3 articles I already published in the blog, I feel there is an ongoing major change in the domain of software for building design which is known under the name of BIM (Building Information Modeling).
BIM allows the software of the different disciplines of the building design(architect, structure engineers, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing) to exchange data automatically.
The main usage of this data exchange are :
– 3D simulation and validation (for example to check that there is no collision between the HVAC pipe and the busway)
– project scheduling
– quantity take off
– simulation : acoustical, thermal, natural and artificial lighting, virtual visit…
The main advantage are the design productivity and the capability to improve the building performance.
Major CAD software providers are offering BIM compliant software : Autodesk (Autodesk Revit), Bentley, MagiCAD
BIM software are today popular in the US and in some Nordic countries because mandatory for the design of big govermental buildings but I would like to know what is the status in other countries?
1) In your country have you ever heard about BIM or CAD BIM software : Autodesk Revit, Bentley Building, MagiCAD…?
2) What is the popularity of BIM in your country :
– is the usage of BIM software mandatory for public buildings design or required by some companies?
– what about the architects in your environment : are they using BIM compliant architect software : Autodesk Revit Architecture, Bentley Building Architecture, Allplan BIM, ArchiCAD 13…
– what about you electrical designers: are you using BIM compliant CAD electrical software: Autodesk Revit MEP, Bentley Building Electrical System, MagiCAD electrical..