Coming back to the new IEC 61439 standard :
simple answers to the 3 most frequently asked questions …
1) What are the differences between the new and the former standard?
– Acknowledgement of the “Assembly systems” manufactured by an “original manufacturer” and put at the disposal of final “Assembly manufacturers”.
– Confirmation and clarification of a number of safety or reliability requirements.
2) Which part corresponds to panels?
IEC 61439-2 is specific to “Power switchgear and controlgear Assemblies”; i.e. power switchboards; it is based on the IEC 61439-1 general rules.
3) Are IEC 61439-1 and -2 already applicable in Europe?
Not yet. We have to wait for the publication of the national European standards (NF EN 61439-1 & -2, BS EN 61439-1 & -2, DIN EN 614339-1 & -2…) possibly by the end of 2009.
NOTE : In fact, the deadline is still unknown because a European amendment might be necessary to allow EN 61439-1 and -2 to be listed as harmonised standards under the EMC Directive.