Next part of our memeber’s tutorial on measuring instrumements…
LCR meter is another very useful measuring device that is extensively used by electrical engineers and companies manufacturing related products. So first f all I will start with the basic conventional introduction of this measuring instrument followed by its working.
An LCR meter is used to measure the inductance, Capacitance and resistance of the device under test. We know that the inductance is denoted by L, capacitance by C and resistance by R. So it is just so clearly visible that why this device is known as a LCR meter in short for convenience.
The useful of the devices is just evident from the fact that it acts as a three in one measuring instrument, which can measure for you all your three required values just in one package.
Working of an LCR meter
The next question that will definitely be arising in your mind is that how does it work? How does it cope with the operation of all the three devices in just one small package? Well the answer is really simple, i.e. the working of an LCR meter is pretty straightforward and nothing complex.
To make it simpler for you, I have explained this working in 5 easy steps below:
- Firstly an alternating voltage is passed through the device under test (also known as DUT)
- The meter than measures the voltage through this device. As we know that a voltmeter is connected in parallel in the circuit for measuring the voltage. So the connections of the LCR meter are also such that it measures the voltage from across the DUT.
- Next the meter measures the current passing through the DUT. This is measures such that I is in series. This all happens in the internal circuitry of the device and the user does not have to change the connections again and again.
- By taking the ratio of both its measurements, the LCR meter calculates the inductance (L) of the DUT.
- Afterwards the capacitance and the resistance of the device under test are calculated according to the value of the impedance measured from the device and are displayed as shown below:
- We assume that the LR elements of the inductor resistor coil are in series and the CR elements of the capacitance resistance coils are in parallel.
Advantages of an LCR meter
- One thing that is evident is that it is compact and a three in one sort of a measuring unit which is obviously preferable.
- Other than this it is also worth mentioning here that an LCR meter is quite accurate and gives the readings with a high precision.
- It can also tell about the angle between the voltage and the current measure if needed.
- It is easy to calibrate and quick to use, the user just needs to connect the two probes of the meter to the DUT as shown below:
Applications of an LCR meter
LCR meters are being widely used in electrical related industries now-a-days for measuring these ratings of different devices. For example they are used to measure the inductance, capacitance and resistance of different newly manufactured appliances like refrigerators, televisions etc.
They are also used in laboratories for circuit testing and components calibration. In short they are of wide usage in daily life.
TOP 5 Best Sellers LCR meter on amazon
- Sampling rate: 5 times/sec Overload Indication: "OL" or "-OL" Auto Power Off: 10 minutes
- Low battery power indication Dust and water proof
- Five selectable test frequency: 100 / 120 / 1K / 10K / 100K Hz
- Temp. coefficient: 0.15 (Spec. Acc)/ºC, <18ºC or >28ºC Safety: IEC61000 EMC standard
- Operating Temp: 0~50ºC, <=80%R.H. Storage Tmep: -20~60ºC
- LCD Display
- Correction: OPEN and SHORT
- Comparator Function: P1,P2,P3,NG,AUX
- Beep Alarm
- 1000V DC Super-impact protection
- Fully Automatic LCR- and ESR-meter
- 1 oz. Weight, 0.5% Basic Accuracy
- NIST Traceable Calibration Certificate
- Tests Indctance, Resistance, Capacitance and Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR)
- Accurate frequency measurements on adjustable speed drives (ASD) due to Fluke-designed low-pass filter
- Built-in thermometer allows temperature measurements without a separate thermometer
- Peak Min/Max allows capture of intermittents as fast 250 µS
- Dual display resolution - 6000 or 20,000 counts - lets you see small changes in displayed readings.CAT III 1000V, CAT IV 600V safety rated
- Measure up to 1000 VAC and DC; Operating Altitude: 2000 m
- The 117 multimeter measures AC and DC voltage as well as AC and DC amps. The 323 clamp meter measures AC and DC voltage as well as AC amps
- The 117 multimeter features true-rms for accurate measurements on non-linear loads
- The 117 multimeter features Low input impedance which helps prevent false readings due to ghost voltage
- The 323 clamp meter provides a true RMS AC voltage and current for accurate measurements on non-linear signals
- The 323 clamp meter measures 400 A AC current and 600 VAC and DC voltage
So this was all about LCR meters. To know more such stuff about measuring devices keep visiting us. And, of course, you still can giv eyour impressions on the comments section below!