Last time, Nasir told us about measuring current with ammeters, today here’s an article about capacitance meter…
What is a Capacitor?
A capacitor is a bi terminal charge storing device which stores the electric charge between its two conducting plates which are separated by a resistance. This is the basic intro of a capacitor which summarizes its working in the shortest possible way. It is necessary to know about the functioning and working of a capacitor before going into the details of a Capacitance meter.
Capacitor stores energy but it is not as efficient as other energy storing devices like batteries etc. The main reason for this is that it discharges quite quickly and that is one of the reasons that it is quite useful in applications where rapid energy is required.
What is a capacitance meter?
The ability of a capacitor to store electric charges is known as its capacitance, and that is what a capacitance meter is used for. A capacitance meter is used for measuring the capacitance of a capacitor. It measures the rate of charge storage and returns the value of capacitance in a digital fashion, usually but not always.
Analogue capacitance meters are also available which give the reading in the form of a needle moving on a scale, but they are quite old and imprecise. Nowadays digital capacitance meters are being widely used because of their easy handling and reading, and increase accuracy.
Measuring Capacitance with a capacitance meter
A capacitance meter can be in the form of an individual device or incorporate inside a digital multi-meter. It has two output probes which can be easily connected to the two legs of the capacitor to measure its capacitance, as shown below:
This can be measured in two ways which are as follows:
- By measuring the rate of Voltage rise
- By passing a high frequency alternating current
Each of this process will be described precisely below…
Measuring the rate of voltage rise
When a capacitance meter is connected with a capacitor it charges it with a preset value of current. When the capacitor is charged and discharged in this way by the capacitance meter, the capacitance meter measures the rate at which the voltage rises in that capacitor due to that current.
The capacitance is then measured as a function of that voltage rise. The slower the voltage rises in the capacitor, the larger will be the value of its capacitance.
By passing a high frequency alternating current
Another method of measuring the capacitance through the capacitance meter is by passing a high frequency alternating current. When the alternating current is passed at a very high frequency the resulting change in the voltage is measured and the capacitance is determined as a function of that resulting voltage.
Uses of a Capacitance meter
Capacitors are being widely used now-a-days in applications where a fast energy source is required, due to the fact that they discharge energy at a rapid rate. Often a capacitor comes with an illegible capacitance such that it is not feasible to use without knowing its actual rating.
A capacitance meter comes in use for measuring the unknown capacitances in the circuit which is essential for the proper working of the circuitry.
TOP 5 best sellers Capacitance meter on amazon
- WARRANTY: 1 year with 100% satisfaction and zero hassle returns guaranteed.
- NOTE: Please discharge the capacitor before testing. Accuracy may be affected by the lead’s length and distance.
- RANGE: Large measure range from 0.01pF to 470mF/470000uF, V2 reads up to 470mF. Reading 2200uF only take ~0.2S.
- STABLE: More stable on reading. With auto running averaging function, it can read pF more stable and accurate.
- MATRIX: 128 x 64 dot matrix LCD, display 5 digital reading. Can use mirco usb as external power.
- Proster LCR Meter: inductance, capacitance and resistance measuring meter,it is a Specialdigital instrument which is easy to be operated, the reading accuracydegree is higher with liquid crystal...
- High Accuracy : (Inductance) Measuring accuracy up to ±(2%+5); (Capacitance) Measuring accuracy up to ±(2%+5)Forward voltage drop of diode:Displaty forward voltage drop of diode;Forward voltage of...
- Rotable LCD Display : Multi angle adjustment for easy reading.There is no need to hold tester while measuring, more convenient operation.
- Multi-function: Auto power off; Data Hold function; Low Power Indication; ZERO ADJ for Capacitance.
- New Version Test Leads: Comes with crocodile clip/ Test Loads/ mini Alligator Clip; The black pen is connected to the negative pole and the red test lead is connected to the positive pole
- 100% Brand New, Tested before Shipping.
- With LCD Display Screen
- Removable Battery Powered(Included)
- Probe Included
- After Sale Service Available
- 【2000 Counts 8233D PRO Pocket Digital Multimeter】 2000μF Capacitance and 200KHz Frequency Measurement, Accurately Measures Current, Voltage, Resistance, and More, Maximum Reading over Time,...
- 【Included 9 Volt Battery】The Compartment Lid at the Back is Secured by One Cross Head Screw, Not Difficult to Remove at All; Also, Included Pair Test leads and Pair Banana Plug to Alligator Clip...
- 【CE Rated Digital Mulimeter with Over Load Protection】 Designed to Safely and Accurately Troubleshoot a Variety of Automotive and Household Electrical
- 【Large Backlit LCD Display】 Auto Polarity Display, Easy to Read Large Backlit LCD Display, Back-light Makes a Real Difference in Low Light Areas
- 【Nice Protective Orange Shell with Stand Built】 The Case with Our Multimeter is Some Kind of Non Slip, Slightly Soft Plastic that Will Help with Drop Protection, The Stand Places the Device at a...
- Digital Capacitor Tester
There are many other such measuring devices which are of extreme use in everyday electrical applications. To know more about them stay tuned and keep visiting us.