Do you know how does a Wattmeter work? If not, don’t worry because our devoted member Nasir chose to dedicate this new part of his tutorial series on measuring instruments to the wattmeter.
You still can send us your articles by mail for them to be published on the blog!
The first question that knocks our mind before starting on the working of a wattmeter is “what it is used for?”. As evident from the name, a wattmeter is used for measuring the total power across any circuit.
We know that the units of power are watts, so as for many other instruments, we can easily know that where the name of this instrument comes from. In simple words, a wattmeter is used for measuring the watts in the circuit.
Construction of a Wattmeter
The internal construction of a wattmeter is such that it consists of two cols. One of the coil is in series and the other is connected in parallel. The coil that is connected in series with the circuit is known as the current coil and the one that is connected in parallel with the circuit is known as the voltage coil.
These coils are named according to the convention because the current of the circuit passes through the current coil and the voltage is dropped across the potential coil, also named as the voltage coil.
The needle that is supposed to move on the marked scale to indicate the amount of power is also attached to the potential coil. The reason for this is that the potential coil is allowed to move whereas the current coil is kept fixed.
The mechanical construction of a wattmeter is shown in the figure below.
Working of a Wattmeter
When the current passes through the current coil, it creates an electromagnetic field around the coil. The strength of this electromagnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current passing through it.
In case of DC current, the current is also in phase with its generated electromagnetic field. The voltage is dropped across the potential coil and as a result of this complete process, the needle moves across the scale. The needle deflection is such that it is according to the product of the current passing and the voltage dropped, that is, P = VI.
This was the case of DC power. We know that the AC power is given by the formula P = VIcosθ, and we know that this cosθ factor is because of the fact that the current and voltage are not in phase.
But the question that arises here is that how will a wattmeter measure the AC power and this power factor? So the wattmeter simply measures the average power in case if AC power is required.
The measurement principle of wattmeter is shown in the figure below:
Applications of Wattmeter
- As other measuring instruments, watt meters are also used extensively in electrical circuit measurement and debugging.
- They are also used in industries to check the power rating and consumption of electrical appliances.
- Electromagnetic watt meters are used to measure utility frequencies.
- They are used with refrigerators, electric heaters and other equipment to measure their power ratings.
This was all about watt meters. What they are used for, what is their mechanical construction and how do they work. As evident, they are of extreme importance and extensive use in electrical related industries and like other measuring devices, are quite easy to use and accurate.
In his next tutorial, Nasir is going to explain another very important measuring device. Can you guess which one?
TOP 5 Best Sellers Wattmeter on amazon
- Choose from the Kill-a-Watt's four settings to monitor your electrical usage
- Monitor your electrical usage by day, week, month, or year
- Features easy-to-read screen
- Electricity usage monitor connects to appliances and assesses efficiency
- Large LCD display counts consumption by the kilowatt-hour
- HIGH POWER WATT METER: Counts consumption by Kilowatt-hours, with high-power tolerance rated at Max.16A, compatible with 220v ac
- REFINED ACCURACY: Built-in high precision current sensor. Ensures you the best accuracy-Class 1.0 with 0.01W, 0.01V and 0.001A resolution
- BACK-LIGHT & MEMORY: With wide view angle, clear backlight large LCD Display and hold over circuit memory for cumulative kilowatt-hours
- PROFESSIONAL KILOWATT METER: Start detection 0.20W, you can virtually monitor standby or working power dissipation of all your electronics
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: 1-YEAR Warranty by Poniie; full ABS fire retardant material housing and comes with 14AWG heavy duty extension cord
- 【Overload Protection】Overload warning displayed on LCD, when the whole power exceeds the rated power 1650W of monitor, LCD will display "OVERLOAD" with booming noise to warn the user, and...
- 【Upgraded Digital LCD Display】 The power consumption monitor with a large clear backlit LCD display, full wide view clear visible, make it easy to read and record the data, especially in the...
- 【Electricity Usage Monitor】With the help of this Power Meter Monitor, You can make certain how much your standby appliances cost, what the power factor is, whether the appliances are really...
- 【Wide Usage】This electricity usage monitor measures various parameters: power (W), energy (kWh), volts, amps, hertz, power factor and maximum power (W), time, days - kWh is vital as this is what...
- 【Lifetime Warranty】 Fayleeko offers a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. If you have any question with the power meter, please feel free to contact us for details on how to set up...
- Evaluate RC battery charging efficiency.Measure power and energy consumption of any battery powered device.
- Handles 0 to 60 volts. Works on 12/24/36/48 volt battery bank systems.OV with optional auxiliary battery.
- Easy to read LCD screen provides clear number readings.The Watt Meter will continuously provide real time readings of the amps, volts, watts and ah after connection.
- Extremely low power consumption of 6 mA. More efficient than any LED meter.Handles up to 150 amps intermittently and 75 amps continuous duty.
- Multifunction Tool: Verifies sufficient operating voltage under load. Prevents peak currents damaging battery, ESC, motors, wiring and connectors. Confirms proper battery charger operation (connect...
- Measures 0 to 60 Volts, works on 12, 24, 36, and 48-volt battery bank systems.
- Precision Alu-Chrom current sensing resistor, with only 0.001 Ohms resistance and circuitry that draws only 7 mA.
- This is the All-In-One Meter: a power meter, a voltmeter, an amp-hour meter, ammeter, and energy meter. Digital LCD screen gives clear crisp number readings.
- Perfect troubleshooting tool: it's indispensable for analyzing, testing and troubleshooting any DIY DC power project.
- Professional RC Watt Meter is an excellent addition to your RC hobby, DC circuits, Solar system, Boat/RV & Battery Backup systems.